Re: [HACKERS] Questions on 7.0 for RPM building

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Questions on 7.0 for RPM building
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 08 Feb 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > 1.) What's the deal with the man pages now?  In 6.5.x, src/man contained

> *All* information in the old man pages appears somewhere in the new
> html/ps docs.

Ok. I can package the man pages that we're going to ship, and leave the rest
alone -- that's easy enough.  I was just curious as to what happened to them --
and you've answered my question.

> > Furthermore, while the command names destroy* have been
> > changed to drop*, the man pages haven't changed.
> Right. They will need to be regenerated for the 7.0 release, and
> haven't been done so far. You *should* get at least a few days to play
> with a beta tarball that has these updated.

That's fine -- even if it is a 'late' beta, so long as I know when I'm fine.

> >  Also, the man3 section has disappeared.
>
> afaik those pages were not really appropriate for reference pages, or
> they do not yet appear in reference pages (library API docs, right?).

Well, they _were_ in the 6.5.x tarball.  But, hey, if they're removed, that's
fine.  I can put a note in the README.rpm file that the preferred documentation
is the sgml source and its derivatives.  I was just curious as to what
happened, as I don't recall seeing a message about that.

> > 2.)     Missing man pages that I have found (lost??) thus far:
> >         pg_ctl (being worked on, AFAIK)
> >         ecpg.1
> >         pg_passwd.1
> >         pg_encoding.1
> >         pg_hba.conf.5

> Probably so. If they don't make sense as a "reference page" style of
> doc in the main docs, then imho they don't make sense as man pages.
> But each should be handled on a case by case basis.

Again, these are man pages (except for pg_encoding and pg_ctl) that existed in
6.5.x.

I realize that these man pages are not the highest priority -- as I was doing a
trial build last night, I had finally gotten everything to build properly
(except plperl), and started working on the %file lists for the packages.,
since there are more executables in 7.0 than in 6.5.x. That's when I noticed
these.

If it'll be the final release before they're there, I can easily wait until
then (this is admittedly my first major release cycle -- I came on board after
the final 6.5 release).

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

От: Lamar Owen
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] pg_ctl man page
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] TODO item