Re: How to fast the REINDEX

От raghavendra t
Тема Re: How to fast the REINDEX
Дата
Re: How to fast the REINDEX
Список pgsql-performance

Hi All,

System Config
---------------------
CPU - Intel® Xenon® CPU
CPU Speed - 3.16 GHz
Server Model - Sun Fire X4150
RAM-Size - 16GB
Steve:
So am I to understand I don't need to do daily reindexing as a maintenance measure with 8.3.7 on FreeBSD.

My question is something like Steve's, why we should not do reindexing as our maintenance task. I was doing reindex only to get
a best fit and not fall short of 90% hole, bcoz my table has lot of updates and deletes. We also has the weekly maintance of VACUUM, but still reindex takes lot of time.

Present Paramters settings
maintainence_work_mem - 1GB
Checkpoint_segment and Wal_buffers are default values.

Kevin, Pierre, Greg, Steve, Hannu, Jorge -----   Thank you for your wonderfull support and giving me the correct picture on REINDEX on this thread. I appoligies if i couldnt have shared the proper information in resolving my issue. Is the above information provided by me will help out in tuning better.

Regards
Raghavendra