Re: Clarification to pg_upgrade docs on reverting to old cluster

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: Clarification to pg_upgrade docs on reverting to old cluster
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Friday, April 5, 2019 2:26 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 11:14 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
Reading the pg_upgrade reference page, I get the feeling that one of the
bullets under "Reverting to old cluster" is a bit thin on detail to be helpful
to newcomers:

    "If you ran pg_upgrade with --link, the data files are shared between the
    old and new cluster.  If you started the new cluster, the new server has
    written to those shared files and it is unsafe to use the old cluster."

This is perfectly correct, but it fails to provide information on what to do
a short sentence saying the old cluster should be restored from backups at this
point.

Let's have two non-english natives discuss it :),

What could possibly go wrong =)

but wouldn't it sound better with "in this case" than "at this point"? And as a really small nitpick, restore from backup, rather than backups?

Agreed.

The third bulletpoint also seems quite complicated really. If we're tweaking these, wouldn't it be better if we split that one in two -- one for "if you ran it without --link", that should reallyi be listed above any of the other options?

Looking at it closer I tend to agree, and updated the patch to split this up in
an attempt to make it a bit clearer for newcomers to pg_upgrade. How about the
attached version?

cheers ./daniel

Вложения