Re: Very high effective_cache_size == worse performance?

От Nikolas Everett
Тема Re: Very high effective_cache_size == worse performance?
Дата
Re: Very high effective_cache_size == worse performance?  (David Kerr <dmk@mr-paradox.net>)
Список pgsql-performance

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 2:03 PM, David Kerr <dmk@mr-paradox.net> wrote:
that thought occured to me while I was testing this. I ran a vacuumdb -z
on my database during the load and it didn't impact performance at all.

Incidentally the code is written to work like this :

while (read X lines in file){
Process those lines.
write lines to DB.
}

So i would generally expect to get the benefits of the updated staticis
once the loop ended. no?  (would prepared statements affect that possibly?)

Also, while I was debugging the problem, I did load a 2nd file into the DB
ontop of one that had been loaded. So the statistics almost certinaly should
have been decent at that point.

I did turn on log_min_duration_statement but that caused performance to be unbearable,
but i could turn it on again if it would help.

Dave

You can absolutely use copy if you like but you need to use a non-standard jdbc driver:  kato.iki.fi/sw/db/postgresql/jdbc/copy/.  I've used it in the past and it worked.

Is the whole thing going in in one transaction?  I'm reasonably sure statistics aren't kept for uncommited transactions.

For inserts the prepared statements can only help.  For selects they can hurt because eventually the JDBC driver will turn them into back end prepared statements that are only planned once.  The price here is that that plan may not be the best plan for the data that you throw at it.

What was log_min_duration_statement logging that it killed performance?

--Nik

Сообщение: Re: Very high effective_cache_size == worse performance?
Сообщение: Re: Very high effective_cache_size == worse performance?