Re: Dual-CPU RAID database server: What Hardware ?

От jdassen@cistron.nl (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
Тема Re: Dual-CPU RAID database server: What Hardware ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Paul BOYER <Paul.Boyer@SecurityKeepers.com> wrote:
>As we are trying to determine the better hardware choice for a database
>server aiming to serve from 1GB up to 15GB with less than 10 connections
>from application servers, with rather intensive requests, operating
>__24x7__ under Linux.

For 24x7 availability, don't forget to look into UPSes, journaling
filesystems and good backups procedures and technology.

>-> Q3: Any experience for a database under Linux SMP with those cards ?

One of our database servers is a dual PIII-850 with a Mylex RAID controller
("DAC1164P PCI RAID Controller" according to dmesg) running PostgreSQL 7.0.3
under Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 with kernel 2.2.19pre17 without any problems
whatsoever (300+ days uptime under the previous kernel before it was
moved to a different location).

HTH,
Ray
--
Pinky, Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
I think so Brain, but if we give peas a chance, won't the lima beans feel