Re: PgPool II configuration with PostgreSQL 8.4

От Rosser Schwarz
Тема Re: PgPool II configuration with PostgreSQL 8.4
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Neha Mehta <Neha.Mehta@lntinfotech.com> wrote:

I am trying to have synchronous master-master replication in PostgreSQL8.4 using PgPool II. I am not able to configure PgPool on the system, it gives me an error, libpq is not installed or libpq is old.

(FYI: This topic is probably more germane to the -ADMIN list, or at least -GENERAL, than it is to -PERFORM.)

Is there a particular reason you're building pgpool, rather than installing it via your distribution's package manager?  Most distributions have it available these days.  (At a minimum, any distribution that's widely-used and well-enough understood to warrant hosting something as critical as your RDBMS should have it.)

FWIW, I'm successfully using pgpool-II against a pair of 8.4 instances (in the connection pool mode, not replication, and all installed from the PGDG RPM repository).  I'm also using Bucardo (in its multi-master/swap mode) to handle the replication, as suggested by someone else down-thread.  So there's an existence proof that it *can* work.

Finally, when PostgreSQL is installed, libpq.so.N is usually put under /usr/lib(64)/, not under the postgres install directory.  Your distribution should have a postgresql-devel package available which will provide a pg_config command that can be used to pass the *actual* installed locations to a configure invocation, as in:

./configure --with-pgsql-libdir=`pg_config --libdir`...

rls

--
:wq