Re: Periodically slow inserts

От Gael Le Mignot
Тема Re: Periodically slow inserts
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hello Tom!

Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:55:48 -0400, you wrote:

 > Gael Le Mignot <gael@pilotsystems.net> writes:
 >> The problem is  when we index objects into the  full-text search part of
 >> the database (which a DELETE and  then an INSERT into a specific table),
 >> the INSERT  sometimes take a long time  (from 10s to 20s),  but the same
 >> insert (and many other similar ones) are fast (below 0.2s).

 >> This  slowness  comes  regularly,   about  every  200  objects  indexed,
 >> regardless  of the frequency  of the  inserts.

 > Hm.  You didn't say which PG version you're using, but if it's >= 8.4,
 > I think this may be caused by GIN's habit of queuing index insertions
 > until it's accumulated a reasonable-size batch:
 > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/gin-implementation.html#GIN-FAST-UPDATE

 > While you can turn that off, I think that doing so will reduce the
 > index's search efficiency over time.  It might be better to schedule
 > regular vacuums on the table so that the work is done by vacuum rather
 > than foreground queries.

Thanks for your feedback.

It seems to  be related, at least, if I  increase the work_mem variable,
the slowness because  bigger (up to 1 minute for a  work_mem of 8mb) but
much less frequent (around 0.05% instead of 0.5% of the requests for 8mb
instead of 1mb).

So a big work_mem and a regular  vacuum would do the tick, I think. Does
auto_vacuum triggers the  gin index vacuuming too, or  does it require a
manual vacuum ?

Regards,

--
Gaël Le Mignot - gael@pilotsystems.net
Pilot Systems - 9, rue Desargues - 75011 Paris