Re: How to fast the REINDEX

От raghavendra t
Тема Re: How to fast the REINDEX
Дата
Re: How to fast the REINDEX
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the update,

>>What does the table look like?  What indexes are there?
Table has a combination of byteas. Indexes are b-tree and Partial

>>Why are you doing that?
Our table face lot of updates and deletes in a day, so we prefer reindex to update the indexes as well overcome with a corrupted index.

>> How long?
More than 4 hrs..

>>What run time are you expecting?
Less than what it is taking at present.

>>It's hard to answer that without more information, like PostgreSQL
>>version and configuration, for starters.  See:
                                                  version
 PostgreSQL 8.4.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-44), 32-bit
(1 row)
Expected the performance question..

Regards
Raghavendra

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
raghavendra t <raagavendra.rao@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a table with 40GB size, it has few indexes on it.

What does the table look like?  What indexes are there?

> When i try to REINDEX on the table,

Why are you doing that?

> its take a long time.

How long?

> I tried increasing the maintenance_work_mem, but still i havnt
> find a satisfying result.

What run time are you expecting?

> Questions
> =======
> 1. What are the parameters will effect, when issuing the REINDEX
>    command
> 2. Best possible way to increase the spead of the REINDEX

It's hard to answer that without more information, like PostgreSQL
version and configuration, for starters.  See:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions

My best guess is that you can make them instantaneous by not running
them.  A good VACUUM policy should make such runs unnecessary in
most cases -- at least on recent PostgreSQL versions.

-Kevin