Re: Evaluation of PG performance vs MSDE/MSSQL 2000 (not 2005)

От Usama Dar
Тема Re: Evaluation of PG performance vs MSDE/MSSQL 2000 (not 2005)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

On Dec 5, 2007 1:13 PM, Robert Bernabe <robert_bernabe@yahoo.com> wrote:
Anyways I'd like to break up this request/begging for help into two parts.

1) First would be settings of postgresql.conf. Did I do it correctly? The sample data is so small....I based my settings on the recommendations researched for data centers.

i think this would  mainly depend on what do your stored procedures do, are they writing stuff to the tables, or reading most of the time or something else? i would imagine with small dataset the postgresql.conf settings should be ok, but more can be told after looking at the code.

2) Code optimization which I plan to start in another email thread since the discussions there would be more detailed.

i think that might be a better starting point.  What are you trying to do and how.

Would it also make sense to optimize (as far as possible) everything (including the code) for windows first? The target here would be a linux OS but since the discrepancy is so big...the unified Windows OS might be a good place to start for now.

Sure, but i am not able to comprehend how the pl/pgsql could contain code which can tuned OS wise, i would think that any optimization you would do there in the stored code would apply to all platforms.

Many Thanks in advance.

Regards

--
Usama Munir Dar http://linkedin.com/in/usamadar
Consultant Architect

Сообщение: Re: Bad query plans for queries on partitioned table
Сообщение: Re: Bad query plans for queries on partitioned table