Re: Samsung 32GB SATA SSD tested

От Jeffrey Baker
Тема Re: Samsung 32GB SATA SSD tested
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 5:32 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Jeffrey W. Baker <jwbaker@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Strangely the RAID controller behaves badly on the TPC-B workload.  It
>> is faster than disk, but not by a lot, and it's much slower than the
>> other flash configurations.  The read/write benchmark did not vary when
>> changing the number of clients between 1 and 8.  I suspect this is some
>> kind of problem with Areca's kernel driver or firmware.
>
> Are you still using the 2.6.18 kernel for testing, or have you
> upgraded to something like 2.6.22.  I've heard many good things about
> the areca driver in that kernel version.

These tests are being run with the CentOS 5 kernel, which is 2.6.18.
The ioDrive driver is available for that kernel, and I want to keep
the software constant to get comparable results.

I put the Samsung SSD in my laptop, which is a Core 2 Duo @ 2.2GHz
with ICH9 SATA port and kernel 2.6.24, and it scored about 525 on R/W
pgbench.

> This sounds like an interesting development I'll have to keep track
> of.  In a year or two I might be replacing 16 disk arrays with SSD
> drives...

I agree, it's definitely an exciting development.  I have yet to
determine whether the SSDs have good properties for production
operations, but I'm learning.

-jwb