Re: How to VACUUM this table? "998994633 estimated total rows"

От Guido Barosio
Тема Re: How to VACUUM this table? "998994633 estimated total rows"
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
quote: " If you are quite sure it has few if any dead tuples, it might be
something to try to avoid VACUUMing except as needed to evade the 2^31
transaction limit..."

You may use the pg_stattuple software, included in the /contrib . This will show you the current scenery, and whether you shall clean or not dead tuples.

Best regards,
Guido.

On 2/12/06, Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:
an@mediaroot.de (Aldor) writes:
> I'm just curious about a VACUUM plan of this table:
>
> 1st) When to do VAUUM?
> 2nd) How often to do VACUUM?
> 3rd) With which postgresql.conf paremeters to set up vacuum?
> 4th) When to do a VACUUM FULL?
> 5th) Can autovacuum of 8.1 be used in this case?
>
> I'm a little bit afraid about the size of the table, but I think
> somebody should have a solution...
>
> Here is the complete ANALYZE output of the table:
>
> INFO:  "tbl1": scanned 300 of 27744713 pages, containing 10802 live rows
> and 0 dead rows; 300 rows in sample, 998994633 estimated total rows
>
> The size of the data is 340 GB, this are 40% of the disk-array.

Vacuuming this table is likely to take a rather long time.  Hours and
hours; possibly multiple days.

I don't think you'll *ever* want to VACUUM FULL this table; I'm not
sure you ever want autovacuum to process it either.

I instead think you want to choose a time which seems best to start a
Very Long Transaction to issue a VACUUM ANALYZE on it.

If you are quite sure it has few if any dead tuples, it might be
something to try to avoid VACUUMing except as needed to evade the 2^31
transaction limit...

I am not sure that's the only opinion you ought to consider on it...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc " "@" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/sap.html