Re: Where is my bottleneck?

От Guido Barosio
Тема Re: Where is my bottleneck?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Arnu,

   Take a look at contrib/pg_buffers and contrib/pgstattuple also!!

Regards,
Guido. (dariussss)

On 1/25/06, Dario Brignardello <dbrignar@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, Arnu,

> The parameters related with memory usage of postgresql.conf all are the
> default values (I haven't changed any value in the postgresql.conf file)

Well, there is actually plenty of room to optimize there, I would suggest to go to
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/runtime-config.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-RESOURCE

and take a look, specially the values for shared_buffers and sort_mem should be higher (mind you, you also have to tune your kernel parameters or your engine will not start, so be careful :-) )

>   I know that I can tune my queries, but I think I could get more
>performance from the hardware I have.

Actually you can, but a bad query is always a bad query, even when runing on big iron, so you should be sure you are not wasting hw resources, specially if those are scarce :-)

> My settings are, do I should change anything else?
>
> # - Query/Index Statistics Collector -

> stats_start_collector = true
> stats_command_string = true
> #stats_block_level = false
> stats_row_level = true
> #stats_reset_on_server_start = true

Take a look at the pg_stat_* views, to see what could be out off the way. To an explanation of the statistics views, check:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/monitoring-stats.html

Hope it helps.
Best regards
Dario