Re: postgresql on NFS.. recommended? not recommended?

От Josh Tolley
Тема Re: postgresql on NFS.. recommended? not recommended?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 10/8/07, Gábor Farkas <gabor@nekomancer.net> wrote:
> hi,
>
> is it recommended to run a postgresql server on a nfs-share
> (gigabit-network)? so basically i have a NAS + a database-server,
> and wonder if i should put the database on local hard-drives in the
> db-server, or on the NAS, and mount it using NFS on the database-server.
>
> i haven't investigated the issue much yet (checked the
> mailing-list-archives, but couldn't find anything definitive.. ), so
> would like to hear opinions/recommendations?
>
> can the NAS solution be faster? how much is usually the NFS-overhead?
>
> or is there a consensus on this? saying for example "generally, you
> should never use NFS with postgresql?" or it depends on some factors?
>
> intuitively it seems to me that NFS will be always an extra overhead,
> but maybe it's an unmeasurably small overhead?
>
> thanks,
> gabor

>        match

This came up recently on pgsql-hackers.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-09/msg01182.php. See
continuation of the thread here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-10/msg00017.php

- Josh/eggyknap

От: Gábor Farkas
Сообщение: postgresql on NFS.. recommended? not recommended?
От: Tino Wildenhain
Сообщение: Re: Apache2 PostgreSQL http authentication