Re: a heavy duty operation on an "unused" table kills my server

От Eduardo Piombino
Тема Re: a heavy duty operation on an "unused" table kills my server
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Yes, one of the things I will do asap is to migrate to the latest version.

On other occasion I went through the checkpoint parameters you mentioned, but left them untouched since they seemed logical.
I'm a little reluctant of changing the checkpoint configuration just to let me do a -once in a lifetime- ALTER.
The checkpoints would then remain too far away in time (or in traffic).
And thinking of touching it and retouching it every time I need to do sthing different bugs me a little. But if there is no other option I will definitely give it a try.

Are you sure, for instance, that the ALTER command (and the internal data it may require to handle, lets say 1.8 million records * 1024 bytes/record (aprox)) goes to RAM, then to disk, and gets logged in the WAL during the whole process? Maybe it does not get logged at all until the ALTER is completed? Since the original table can be left untouched until this copy of the table gets updated ... Just guessing here.