Re: Best suiting OS

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Best suiting OS
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 3:46 AM, S Arvind <arvindwill@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>       What is the best Linux flavor for server which runs postgres alone.
> The postgres must handle greater number of database around 200+. Performance
> on speed is the vital factor.
> Is it FreeBSD, CentOS, Fedora, Redhat xxx??

You say you want speed, but I'm betting stability is more important
than speed, as a machine that crashes several times a month but is
lightening fast is usually a bad choice for a db server.

I run Centos 5.3 with an older kernel.  There's a bug in the areca
drivers after the 2.6.18-92.el5 kernel that redhat has no apparent
interest in fixing.  But with that kernel, I have a machine that's
pretty fast and stable:

uname -a
Linux db1 2.6.18-92.el5 #1 SMP Tue Jun 10 18:51:06 EDT 2008 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
uptime
 13:44:38 up 416 days, 28 min,  6 users,  load average: 28.94, 31.93, 32.50

It's twin was the one I tested the newer kernel on and had the hangs
with.  It now runs the same older kernel as well.