Re: LDAP where DN does not include UID attribute

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: LDAP where DN does not include UID attribute
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 12:27 AM, Robert Fleming
<fleming@cs.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Robert Fleming <fleminra@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > That's just the way the company LDAP is setup -- it's out of my control
>> > unfortunately.
>> >
>> > Our schema used to have the uid in the DN, and I always wrote our
>> > enterprise
>> > software to just do the bind without a search.  When the LDAP schema
>> > changed, my reaction was the same as yours, but when I saw that
>> > Bugzilla,
>> > MediaWiki, etc. accommodate it without flinching, I figured it wasn't
>> > too
>> > uncommon, so I changed my own software.  Other software that supports
>> > it:
>> > Tiki wiki, Apache's mod_authnz_ldap, ejabberd.  I think I had to tweak
>> > some
>> > Perl for jabberd <jabberd.org> to handle it.
>> >
>> > It might be twice as slow, but if PostgreSQL were smart or configurable
>> > enough, it could skip the search when not necessary.  So performance
>> > needn't
>> > be impacted.
>>
>> On a large ldap schema it's WAY more than twice as slow.  A Search is
>> about 10 to 20 times slower on most ldap servers. I've seen machines
>> handling 1,000 or more auths per second slow to a crawl due to this
>> type of change.
>
> I'll come up with a patch to support search+bind a la Apache, etc., and
> retain the existing logic as an optimized sub-case.  I think the cost of an
> additional conditional branch instruction will be negligible w.r.t. the LDAP
> bind.  I suppose this should go to the development list.
> I mainly just wanted to confirm with this list that this is a scenario that
> is not currently covered by PostgreSQL.

Yeah, it's really a question of scalability.  If a app is constantly
authenticating then it could be a problem.  The problem stems from
authentication being a bolt on for LDAP, instead of a primary
function, like kerberos.  If it was just username and password, check
out a token, you'd have it easy(ier?), right?