Re: [ADMIN] deployment query

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: [ADMIN] deployment query
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Nagalingam, Karthikeyan
<KARTHIKEYAN.Nagalingam@netapp.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>     we are in the process of finding the best solution for Postgresql
> deployment with storage controller. I have some query, Please give some
> suggestion for the below
>
> 1) Can we get customer deployment scenarios for postgresql with storage
> controller. Any flow diagram, operation diagram and implementation diagram
> are welcome.

Like John said, install, initdb, configure postgresql.conf and
pg_hba.conf, load dbs and go.  Whether or not it's on a storage
controller is kind of not that big of a deal, as long as it's
reliable.

> 2) Which protocol is mostly used in production. [NFS,ISCSi,FCP,etc...]

If I can, I almost always build databases on DAS.  If I must use
something else, I'd lean towards iSCSI.  Don't trust NFS for
databases.

> 3) What kind of application Mostly used with Postgresql.

All kinds.  We mostly use it for Content Management where I work. Last
place I worked it was our primary database for RT (ticketing system),
bugzilla, media wiki, our statistical monitoring db, etc.  Our primary
lifting db was oracle, not because oracle was better, but because the
VC vultures wouldn't sign off on postgresql out of ignorance /
prejudice / lack of basic understanding / you name it.

> 4) What is the business and technical issues for Postgresql with storage
> controller at present stage.

Not sure what you're asking here.  Right now most postgresql
installations are on direct attached storage.  The biggest issues
affecting any deployment to remote storage are the ones having to do
with the OS postgresql is most often deployed on, Linux.  Device
drivers, iSCSI drivers, things like that.

I would think that if you wanted more traction for pgsql (or other
dbs) on netapp under linux, you could look at this area.

> 5) In which area Postgresql most wanted.

Got me.

> 6) What kind of DR solution customer using for Postgresql with storage
> controller.

First rule of communications, define your acronyms.  What's DR?