Re: TurnKey PostgreSQL: new installable live CD optimized for easy of use

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: TurnKey PostgreSQL: new installable live CD optimized for easy of use
Дата
Re: Ubuntu for servers (was TurnKey PostgreSQL)
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 7:06 AM, Liraz Siri <liraz@turnkeylinux.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am one of the developers for TurnKey Linux, a new opensource project
> that develops a family of lightweight installable live CDs optimized for
> various server-type tasks including LAMP, Ruby on Rails, Django, Joomla,
> Drupal, MediaWiki, and others:
>
> http://www.turnkeylinux.org/appliances
>
> This type of pre-integrated, ready-to-use system is typically called a
> software appliance:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_appliance
>
> Our project's goal is to build software appliances that are easy to use,
> easy to deploy and free. In a nutshell, we believe everything that can
> be easy, should be easy!
>
> We just released TurnKey PostgreSQL, an easy-to-use, lightweight,
> installable live CD of the PostgreSQL relational database engine that
> can run on real hardware in addition to most types of virtual machines.
> It features a Mac OS X-themed Web management interface and a Python
> configuration and installation console. It is based on Ubuntu 8.04.1
> Hardy LTS, and is designed to provide users with a pre-integrated,
> automatically updated, turn-key operating system environment that is
> carefully built from the ground up with the minimum components needed to
> run PostgreSQL with maximum usability, efficiency, and security.

This sounds great.  If I wind up with a big machine to test it on I'll
tell you how it goes.

Are you familiar with this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/linux/+bug/245779

It's the reason my latest db servers are running Centos 5.2, sadly.
By the time I'd found the suggested workaround of setting a boot
option of NO_HZ=y I was already migrated off ubuntu for db servers.