Re: [ADMIN] Error while starting postgreSQL service

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: [ADMIN] Error while starting postgreSQL service
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Nov 19, 2007 4:15 AM, Bebarta, Simanchala
<Simanchala.Bebarta@in.unisys.com> wrote:
> Yes, when I set the value to 1300 MB, everything goes fine. Any value
> higher than this value does not allow me to start the service.

Please don't top post.

Anyway, are you sure that increasing shared_buffers that high is
helping?  There's some evidence that windows pgsql can't use
shared_buffer settings that high efficiently.  Have you tested
shared_buffer settings starting low and working you way up and seen a
steady increase in performance?  Or are you just guessing that larger
shared_buffer = better performance?

I'm guessing that it's a limitation of windows and pgsql that you're
running into.  If you want to run a large memory postgresql database
server with lots of load, I highly recommend using unix as the
underlying OS, as pgsql is far better tested and supported there.