Re: Postgresql takes more time to update

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Postgresql takes more time to update
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 10/4/07, Suresh Gupta VG <suresh.g@zensar.com> wrote:

Hi Team,

We are using "psql 7.4.2" version of Postgresql, these days all the transactions on the database are taking long time to execute. We are planning to do "ANALYZE " command on the database. Could you please advice us, how much time it takes and what are the conditions we need to keep on an eye.

FIrst thing, you need to schedule an update to 7.4.18 or whatever the latest 7.4 patch release is. 7.4.2 is so far back that I'm 100% certain there are data eating bugs in it, and you will likely get bitten if you stay on it.  Note that there is no need for dump / restore, unless something goes horribly wrong.  Always make a backup just in case though.

Next in answer to how long an analyze will take, the answer is some time.  That's as accurate as I can be given how little I know of your database.  How much space on disk is it using?  How fast is your drive subsystem.  A similar question would be how long does it take to paint a bridge.  Apparently, on the Golden Gate bridge, they start on one end, and when they get to the other, the go back and start again.

Can you please tell us whether we had any other commands are available on postgresql to increase the performance of the database and database tools available for Postgresql on Solaris sparc machine?

Hard to say.  The two most important things I can think of for speeding you up right off the bat are to upgrade both your OS (to BSD or Linux on the same hardware) and to upgrade PostgreSQL.

Barring that, we're looking at performance tuning.  I'd suggest taking a walk over to the pgsql-perform list and telling folks all about your hardware (CPU / Disk arrays / Memory) and what you're doing with your box: types of queries, examples that are slow, how often you run analyze, how often you vacuum, how large your current db is, what does vacuum verbose tell you, those kinds of things.

with thanks and regards,

G.V. Suresh Gupta

   Sr. Software Engineer

   Batelco Phase II

Mo: +91 9890898688

Ph : +9120 66453213

DISCLAIMER:
This email may contain confidential or privileged information for the intended recipient(s) and the views expressed in the same are not necessarily the views of Zensar Technologies Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail by error, its use is strictly prohibited, please delete the e-mail and notify the sender. Zensar Technologies Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

Вложения