Windows max concurrent connections

От Mario Ferloni
Тема Windows max concurrent connections
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi all,

this is my very first post to this list. I have searched the archives,
but it seems that this argument hasn't been treated deeply before.
Please be fair as this will be a long message :) .
I am in charge of designing and implementing a medium-size deployment
of PostgreSQL (with PostGIS), with the following requirements:
* OS: Windows 2003 R2 x64 (two nodes with fibre channel shared storage)
* Cluster: Microsoft Clustering

I will be using the 8.3.1 version of PostgreSQL (32bit).

I already have built a simple lab on vmware to test postgresql with ms
clustering and everything seems to work fine.

I am a bit concerned about the max concurrent connection problem
documented in the windows faq
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_windows.html#4.4), that is
due to user32.dll limitations. Now, my question is: what is the status
of this problem as of 8.3.1 version?
Obviously, I am not going to start PostgreSQL from the commandline
(cluster services requires it to be started as a service), so the
problem is going to be a major problem, since I expect a larger number
of concurrent connections, due to the expected usage of the db.

I would like to discuss with you some scenarios and how (and possibly
if) can they mitigate this problem.

scenario 1:
Microsoft cluster services allow to start a generic service as a
clustered resource, but allow to start a generic application also. It
seems that the problem could be avoided this way, since starting pgsql
as an application will mitigate the problem, *but* this would be
started by the cluster service, so maybe the problem will be the
same... anyone tested it this way?
scenario 2:
I will be using postgresql on a x64 os, but I am going to use the
32bit precompiled version of postgresql, since (as I read on
http://people.planetpostgresql.org/mha/index.php?/archives/162-PostgreSQL-vs-64-bit-windows.html)
apparently there wont' be any big advantages to have a 64bit version o
postgresql, due to the way it has been developed. My question is: on a
x64 OS libraries used by postgresql will again use user32.dll (due to
the fact the app is a 32bit app) or will they use the 64bit version of
user32.dll (which, I suppose, has not the limitation of the 32-bit
version?).
scenario 3:
if the previous scenario is not successful, will a x64 version of
postgresql solve the problem? I expect the answer will be yes, but I
see that such a port not only does not exist, but that isn't planned
either... anyone has tried that?
scenario 4:
this solution based on Interix
(http://people.planetpostgresql.org/merlin/index.php?/archives/1-64-bit-PostgreSQL-on-windows-read-on....html).
Anyone tested it on a true x64 box?

I know that this is a bunch of questions, but I hope that someone will
put me on the right way... :)

Thank you in advance,
--
MF