Re: noob inheritance question

От Nikolas Everett
Тема Re: noob inheritance question
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Inheritance would only make sense if each of your categories had more columns.  Say if you had a "wines" category and only they had a year column.  Its probably not worth it for one or two columns but if you've got a big crazy heterogeneous tree of stuff then its probably appropriate.

I'm with Richard in that it sounds like the right way to solve your problem is to have a "categories" table and a "products" table.  Let the categories table have a reference to the parent.  I suppose just like they do in the first section of http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/hierarchical-data.html .  The other sections on the page just seem like overkill to me.