Re: picking the correct locale when doing initdb

От Tomi NA
Тема Re: picking the correct locale when doing initdb
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 3/16/06, Harald Armin Massa <haraldarminmassa@gmail.com> wrote:
on bugs Magnus wrote:

> It's a matter of picking the correct locale when you initdb your database.

and he is PERFECTLY right. Getting the locale wrong while doing intidb can really screw up ones day.

But: because of initdb being at the very beginning, it is a really tough decision based on not a lot of information. I know, same problem appears in "bigger" databases too.

On the same time my impression is that since PostgreSQL is totally easy to install on win32 (ok, still need to understand what are user rights, and have ntfs), lots of "first timers" are upgrading from My to Postgre.

What can we do to make their first steps with "encodings" and "locale" easier?

Here's an idea: let's make the locale a table-level setting, settable at table creation time so that it's concievable to use postgresql to build, say, a turist information site supporting english, german, spanish and italian at the same time.

Tomislav