Re: First SVG graphic

От Jürgen Purtz
Тема Re: First SVG graphic
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On 11.03.19 12:13, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I played with this further.  My conclusion is that SVG as a source
> format is not workable.  Aside from the tooling issues that are being
> discussed, which might be solvable, I think it's not the right level of
> abstraction.  The problem is that it is a *vector* format, but not a
> *graph* or *chart* format.  You can draw boxes and lines and text, but
> nothing in the format indicates how they are connected.

Yes, SVG knows nothing about higher level concepts. That's one of the
reasons why there are tools to create SVG, eg. Inkscape with the
connectors feature (it was not used in the examples but obviously it's
possible.)

> I looked at some alternatives.  I rebuilt the GIN image using Graphviz
> and the page layout image using Ditaa.

That was the heart of the proposal: Since  we couldn't find consensus
about a single tool in the long lasting discussion, everybody shall use
his favourite tool and deliver the original source plus a SVG version.

Kind regards,

Jürgen Purtz