Re: Adding and filling new column on big table

От Francisco Reyes
Тема Re: Adding and filling new column on big table
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Jonathan Blitz writes:

> I suppose I could do but I need to install PostgreSQL there and then copy
> over the database.
> Maybe I will give it a try.

I really think that is your best bet.
If for whatever reason that will not be an option perhaps you can just let
the process run over the weekend.. possibly monitor the process from the OS
to make sure it is not frozen.

Don't recall if you mentioned the OS.. is it any unix like os?
If so there are several ways you could check to make sure the process is not
frozen such as iostats, top, vmstats(these from FreeBSD, but most unix like
os should have tools like those if not some with the same name).