Re: Inserts optimization?

От Francisco Reyes
Тема Re: Inserts optimization?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Gábriel Ákos writes:

>> RAID 10 needs pairs.. so we can either have no spares or 2 spares.
>
> hm, interesting. I have recently set up a HP machine with smartarray 6i
> controller, and it is able to handle 4 disks in raid10 plus 1 as spare.

:-)
Ok so let me be a bit more clear...

We have 6 disks in RAID10.
We can have the following with the remaining 2 disks
RAID1
1 Spare, 1 for storage
2 spares

Having at least 1 spare is a must.. which means that we can use the
remaining disk as spare or as data... using it to store ANY data means the
data will not be protected by the RAID. I can not think of almost any data
we would care so little that we would put it in the single disk.

For a second I thought logs.. but even that is not good, because the
programs that write the logs may fail.. so even if we don't care about
loosing the logs, in theory it may cause problems to the operation of the
system.

That's how we ended up with 2 hot spares.