Re: Inserts optimization?

От Francisco Reyes
Тема Re: Inserts optimization?
Дата
Re: Inserts optimization?  (Gábriel Ákos <akos.gabriel@i-logic.hu>)
Список pgsql-performance
Michael Stone writes:

> I guess the first question is why 2 hot spares?

Because we are using RAID 10

> larger array with more spindles with outperform a smaller one with
> fewer, regardless of RAID level (assuming a decent battery-backed
> cache).

Based on what I have read RAID 10 is supposed to be better with lots of
random access.

> 5 RAID5
> 2 RAID1
> 1 spare

That is certainly something worth considering... Still I wonder if 2 more
spindles will help enough to justify going to RAID 5. My understanding is
that RAID10 has simpler computations requirements which is partly what makes
it better for lots of random read/write.