Re: Is Diskeeper Automatic Mode safe?

От Dave Crooke
Тема Re: Is Diskeeper Automatic Mode safe?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
My reply about server failure was shwoing what could go wrong at the server level assuming a first-class, properly run data center, with fully redundant power, including a server with dual power supplies on separate cords fed by separate UPS'es etc. ....

Unfortunately, correctly configured A/B power is all too rare these days. Some examples of foo that I've seen at professional data centers:

- Allegedly "A/B" power supplied from two phases of the same UPS (which was then taken down due to a tech's error during "hot" maintenance)
- "A/B" power fed through a common switch panel
- A/B power with dual attached servers, with each power feed running a steady 60% load (do the math!)

A classic piece of foo from a manufacturer - Dell supplies their low end dual-power rackmount boxes with a Y shaped IEC cable ... clearly, this is only suitable for non-redundant use but I've seen plenty of them deployed in data centers by less-than-clueful admins.