Re: Performance of pg_dump on PGSQL 8.0

От John Vincent
Тема Re: Performance of pg_dump on PGSQL 8.0
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

On 6/14/06, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> wrote:

Description of "Queries gone wild" redacted.  hehe.

Yeah, I've seen those kinds of queries before too.  you might be able to
limit your exposure by using alter user:

alter user userwhoneedslotsofworkmem set work_mem=1000000;

Is this applicable on  8.0? We were actually LOOKING for a governor of some sort for these queries.  And something that is not explicitly stated, is that allocated up front or is that just a ceiling?

and then only that user will have that big of a default.  You could even
make it so that only queries that need that much log in as that user,
and all other queries log in as other folks.  Just a thought.  I just
get REAL nervous seeing a production machine with a work_mem set that
high.

Which is actually how it's configured. We have a dedicated user connecting from  Actuate. The reports developers use thier own logins when developing new reports. Only when they get published do they convert to the Actuate user.

--
John E. Vincent
lusis.org@gmail.com

Сообщение: Re: Performance of pg_dump on PGSQL 8.0
Сообщение: Re: Performance of pg_dump on PGSQL 8.0