Re: System in Recovery Mode

От Aaron Bono
Тема Re: System in Recovery Mode
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@it-management.at> wrote:
On Montag, 25. Februar 2008 Aaron Bono wrote:
> We did have a hard drive problem (errors on the drive) in the past
> and they had to swap out a drive.  It is a RAID configuration so no
> backup/restore was necessary.

Even with a RAID system, a broken hard drive that doesn't show that it's
broken can cause severe data destroying: We've had this several times
already, with different RAID and drive combinations, SATA and SCSI,
doesn't matter. The symptom was that you write data to the drive, it
says OK, but upon reading you receive other data than you wrote. Even
RAID 1/5/6 doesn't help you here.

Doesn't mean you have the same, but from what you wrote I just wanted to
inform you that it's a fact that a single broken drive can destroy even
a RAIDs data very nasty.

mfg zmi

If I do a pg_dump from this potentially "bad" database and then use the output to do a restore to a new DB on another server, aside from having some data corrupted, would we be able to recover from this problem?  If not, what could I do to "fix" the data so the database stops having issues?

Thanks!
Aaron

  Aaron Bono
  Aranya Software Technologies, Inc.