Re: Out of shared memory in postgres 8.4.2 and locks

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Out of shared memory in postgres 8.4.2 and locks
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Vidhya Bondre <meetvbondre@gmail.com> wrote:

>> are you using the same postgresql.conf?  have you created more
>> partitions?  using advisory locks?
>
> Yes we are using same conf files. In a week we create around 5 partitions.
> We are not using advisory locks
>>
>> In any event, increase the max_locks_per_transaction setting and
>> restart the database.
>

> Currently the value of max_locks_per_transaction is 64 modifying it to 96
> works.
> Have a couple of questions
> 1] As and when we add partitions will we have to increase this parameter ?
> 2] will we have to consider any othe parameter twick while increasing this
> one?

If you are doing 'in transaction' operations that involve a lot of
tables this figure has to be bumped, sometimes significantly.  You
might be tempted just crank it, and be done with this problem.   If
so, be advised of what happens when you do:

*) more shared memory usage (make sure you have memory and
shared_buffers is appropriately set).  however for what you get the
usage is relatively modest.
*) anything that scans the entire in memory lock table takes longer in
relationship to this .conf value. AFAIK, the only noteworthy thing
that does this is the pg_locks view.

The 'other' big shared memory tradeoff you historically had to deal
with, the fsm map, is gone in 8.4.

merlin

Сообщение: Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics
Сообщение: Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics