Re: Best suiting OS

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Best suiting OS
Дата
Re: Best suiting OS  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
Re: Best suiting OS  (Mark Mielke <mark@mark.mielke.cc>)
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 5:46 AM, S Arvind <arvindwill@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>       What is the best Linux flavor for server which runs postgres alone.
> The postgres must handle greater number of database around 200+. Performance
> on speed is the vital factor.
> Is it FreeBSD, CentOS, Fedora, Redhat xxx??

I think for linux centos/redhat is probably the best bet.  Debian
would be a good choice too especially if you have developers using
debian based system (like ubuntu) on the desktop. redhat gets the nod
because of hardware support and they are the most serious about
backpatching fixes on enterprise releases.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I _always_ compile postgresql
myself directly from official sources.  It's easy enough and you never
know when you have to do an emergency patch or cassert build, etc.

merlin