Re: understanding postgres issues/bottlenecks

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: understanding postgres issues/bottlenecks
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Stefano Nichele
<stefano.nichele@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
> I would like to ask your help in order to understand if my postgresql server
> (ver. 8.2.9) is well configured.
> It's a quad-proc system (32 bit) with a 6 disk 1+0 RAID array and 2 separate
> disks for the OS and write-ahead logs with 4GB of RAM.
>
> I don't know what is the best info to help me and so I start with some
> vmstat information:
>
>> vmstat -n 30
> procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- --system--
> -----cpu------
> r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in   cs us sy id wa
> st
> 0 23     84 129968  25060 3247860    0    0    78    50    0    2 17  5 33
> 45  0

clearly i/o bound. can you throw an iostat to give some more detailed info?
also,
need o/s version, etc
disk info (speed, raid controller, etc)
my guess is your disk system is underpowered for transaction load you
are giving.
how many tps is the database doing?

merlin