Re: Making the most of memory?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Making the most of memory?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Jan 23, 2008 2:57 PM, Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1@burntmail.com> wrote:
> Unless somebody has changes some physics recently, I'm not understanding
> the recent discussions of SSD in the general press.  Flash has a limited
> number of writes before it becomes unreliable.  On good quality consumer
> grade, that's about 300,000 writes, while on industrial grade it's about
> 10 times that.  That's fine for mp3 players and cameras; even

wrong. at 1 million writes (which better flash drives can do)  wear
leveling, this can be disproved with a simple back of napkin
calculation...

the major problem with flash drives in the server space is actually
random write performance...if random write performed as well as random
read for flash ssd, you would be able to replace a stack of 15k sas
drives with a single flash ssd in terms of iops.

merlin

Сообщение: Re: Making the most of memory?
Сообщение: Re: Making the most of memory?