Re: Dell Hardware Recommendations

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Dell Hardware Recommendations
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 8/10/07, Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org> wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2007, at 3:47 PM, Joe Uhl wrote:
>
> > PowerEdge 1950 paired with a PowerVault MD1000
> > 2 x Quad Core Xeon E5310
> > 16 GB 667MHz RAM (4 x 4GB leaving room to expand if we need to)
> > PERC 5/E Raid Adapter
> > 2 x 146 GB SAS in Raid 1 for OS + logs.
> > A bunch of disks in the MD1000 configured in Raid 10 for Postgres
> > data.
>
> I'd avoid Dell disk systems if at all possible.  I know, I've been
> through the pain. You really want someone else providing your RAID
> card and disk array, especially if the 5/E card is based on the
> Adaptec devices.

I'm not so sure I agree.  They are using LSI firmware now (and so is
everyone else).  The servers are well built (highly subjective, I
admit) and configurable.  I have had some bad experiences with IBM
gear (adaptec controller though), and white box parts 3ware, etc.  I
can tell you that dell got us the storage and the server in record
time

do agree on adaptec however

merlin