Re: [pgsql-advocacy] 8.2 -> 8.3 performance numbers

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] 8.2 -> 8.3 performance numbers
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 7/25/07, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 10:03 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Jim,
> >
> > > Has anyone benchmarked HEAD against 8.2? I'd like some numbers to use in
> > > my OSCon lightning talk. Numbers for both with and without HOT would be
> > > even better (I know we've got HOT-specific benchmarks, but I want
> > > complete 8.2 -> 8.3 numbers).
> >
> > We've done it on TPCE, which is a hard benchmark for PostgreSQL.  On
> > that it's +9% without HOT and +13% with HOT.  I think SpecJ would show a
> > greater difference, but we're still focussed on benchmarks we can
> > publish (i.e. 8.2.4) right now.
>
> Josh,
>
> Should you get the chance I would appreciate a comparative test for
> TPC-E.
>
> 1. Normal TPC-E  versus
> 2. TPC-E with all FKs against Fixed tables replaced with CHECK( col IN
> (VALUES(x,x,x,...))) constraints on the referencing tables.
>
> I have reasonable evidence that Referential Integrity is the major
> performance bottleneck and would like some objective evidence that this
> is the case.
>
> No rush, since it will be an 8.4 thing to discuss and improve this
> substantially in any of the ways I envisage.

just a small 'me too' here, the RI penalty seems higher than it should
be...especially when the foreign key table is very small, and I can
see how this would impact benchmarks.

merlin

Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] 8.2 -> 8.3 performance numbers
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] 8.2 -> 8.3 performance numbers