Re: Context switch storm

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Context switch storm
Дата
Re: Context switch storm
Список pgsql-performance
On 11/14/06, Cosimo Streppone <cosimo@streppone.it> wrote:
> I must say I lowered "shared_buffers" to 8192, as it was before.
> I tried raising it to 16384, but I can't seem to find a relationship
> between shared_buffers and performance level for this server.

My findings are pretty much the same here.  I don't see any link
between shared buffers and performance.  I'm still looking for hard
evidence to rebut this point.   Lower shared buffers leaves more
memory for what really matters, which is sorting.

> > Well, the client I saw it with just bought a dual-opteron server and
> > used their quad-Xeon for something else. However, I do remember that 8.1
> > seemed better than 7.4 before they switched. Part of that might just
> > have been better query-planning and other efficiences though.
>
> An upgrade to 8.1 is definitely the way to go.
> Any 8.0 - 8.1 migration advice?

If you are getting ready to stage an upgrade, you definately will want
to test on 8.2 and 8.1.  8.2 might give you better results in the lab,
and has some nice features.

merlin