Re: Hardware upgraded but performance still ain't good enough

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Hardware upgraded but performance still ain't good enough
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 8/7/06, Alvaro Nunes Melo <al_nunes@atua.com.br> wrote:
> "we recently upgraded our dual Xeon Dell to a brand new Sun v40z with 4
> opterons, 16GB of memory and MegaRAID with enough disks. OS is Debian
> Sarge amd64, PostgreSQL is 8.0.3." on
> (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2005-07/msg00431.php)

well, if you spend three months optimizing your application or buy a
10k$ server to get the same result, which is cheaper? :)

> The database size stands around 10 GB. The new server has a better
> performance than the old one, but sometimes it still stucks. We tried to
> use a HP proprietary tool to monitor the server, and find out what is
> the bottleneck, but it's been difficult to install it on Debian. The

I'm not familiar with the hp tool, but I suspect you are not missing
much.  If you are looking for a free distro, you might have some luck
with centos.  most redhat binary rpms will install on it.

> tool is only certified for SuSe and RedHat. So we tried to use some
> Linux tools to see what's going on, like vmstat and iostat. Are this
> tools (vm and iostat) enough? Should we use something else? Is there any
> specifical material about finding bottlenecks in Linux/PostgreSQL
> machines? Is our disks design proper?

those are pretty broad questions, so you will only get broad answers.
you might want to consider hooking up with some commercial support
(I've heard good things about commandprompt) or providing more
detailed information so that you can get some help from this list,
including:
iostat/vmstat reports
explain analyze
information from top

nicely summarized at the time the problems occur.
regards,
merlin