Re: Procedural language functions across servers

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Procedural language functions across servers
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 7/9/06, Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.pgsql-general@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
> I know that the FAQ says that the only way to implement a query across databases
> is to use dblink, is this the only way available if additional procedural
> languages are installed?
>
> For example, assume I have a production server A that does not have PL/Perl
> installed, and a hacker's server B (let's assume this is a separate machine)
> complete with every possible bell and whistle. If I want to apply Perl (in a
> read-only fashion) to extract data from the production tables is the "best" way
> to have a PL/Perl function including references to dblink functions?
>
> Similarly, if I have PostGIS or PL/R on the hacker's server, or- heaven forfend-
> both, is the best way to get at the production server still to use dblink?

dblink allows you to send queries from one server to another in a
couple of different ways.  What the 'client' server has installed is
irrelevant...the sql is processed by the 'server' server (in your
example, the production server i think).

now, you could send the data across via a dblink query/view and
pl/perl process it in your developer box.  if you have pl/pgsql
installed on the production server, I would suggest using that though
and just invoking a function call across the dblink ;)

merlin