Re: Loading the entire DB into RAM

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Loading the entire DB into RAM
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 4/7/06, Charles A. Landemaine <landemaine@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a web server with PostgreSQL and RHEL. It hosts a search
> engine, and each time some one makes a query, it uses the HDD Raid
> array. The DB is not very big, it is less than a GB. I plan to add
> more RAM anyway.
>
> What I'd like to do is find out how to keep the whole DB in RAM so
> that each time some one does a query, it doesn't use the HDD. Is it
> possible, if so, how?

don't bother.

If your database is smaller than ram on the box, the operating will
cache it quite effectively.  All you should be worrying about is to
set fsync=on (you care about your data) or off (you don't).  If your
data is truly static you might get better performance out of a
in-process data storage, like sqlite for example.

Merlin