How serial primary key numbers are assigned

От Rich Shepard
Тема How serial primary key numbers are assigned
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Just out of curiosity, how does postgres assign serial primary key
identifiers when rows are inserted in multiple, separate working sessions?

I'm populating tables using INSERT INTO statements in separate working
sessions and see that the assigned id numbers are sequential in each
session, but have large gaps from one session to the next. I don't care what
id numbers are assigned yet would like to know how the starting number for
each session is determined, just because I expected the numbers to be
continuous.

Regards,

Rich