Re: what Linux to run

От Rich Shepard
Тема Re: what Linux to run
Дата
Re: what Linux to run
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012, mgould@isstrucksoftware.net wrote:

> If we move to Linux, what is the preferred Linux for running Postgres on.
> This machine would be dedicated to the database only.

Michael,

   There is no 'preferred' linux distribution; the flame wars on this topic
died out a decade or so ago.

   From what you write, I would suggest that you look at one of the Ubunutus
<http://www.ubuntu.org/>. Either the KDE or Gnome versions will appear
Microsoft-like; the Xfce version appears more like CDE. Download a bootable
.iso (a.k.a. 'live disk) and burn it to a cdrom and you can try it without
.installing it. If you do like it, install it from the same disk.

   The Ubuntus boot directly into the GUI and that tends to be more
comfortable for newly defenestrated users. If you like that, but want the
more open and readily-available equivalent, install Debian. The ubuntus are
derivatives of debian.

   We use Slackware here, but that's not as easy a transition as are the
ubuntus.

   Regardless of what distribution you select, there's a learning curve and a
ton of help on mail lists and Web-based fora. The F/OSS community has always
been excepionally helpful to everyone.

   Good decision. Now make it happen. :-)

Rich