Re: suggestions for postgresql setup on Dell 2950 , PERC6i controller

От Matthew Wakeling
Тема Re: suggestions for postgresql setup on Dell 2950 , PERC6i controller
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:
> sda6 --> xfs with default formatting options.
> sda7 --> mkfs.xfs -f  -d sunit=128,swidth=512   /dev/sda7
> sda8 --> ext3 (default)
>
> it looks like mkfs.xfs  options sunit=128 and swidth=512 did not improve
> io throughtput as such in bonnie++ tests .
>
> it looks like ext3 with default options performed worst in my case.

Of course, doing comparisons using a setup like that (on separate
partitions) will skew the results, because discs' performance differs
depending on the portion of the disc being accessed. You should perform
the different filesystem tests on the same partition one after the other
instead.

Matthew

--
"We did a risk management review.  We concluded that there was no risk
 of any management."        -- Hugo Mills <hugo@carfax.nildram.co.uk>