Re: SSD performance

От david@lang.hm
Тема Re: SSD performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Glyn Astill wrote:

>> I spotted a new interesting SSD review. it's a $379
>> 5.25" drive bay device that holds up to 8 DDR2 DIMMS
>> (up to 8G per DIMM) and appears to the system as a SATA
>> drive (or a pair of SATA drives that you can RAID-0 to get
>> past the 300MB/s SATA bottleneck)
>>

> Sounds very similar to the Gigabyte iRam drives of a few years ago
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-RAM

similar concept, but there are some significant differences

the iRam was limited to 4G, used DDR ram, and used a PCI slot for power
(which can be in
short supply nowdays)

this new drive can go to 64G, uses DDR2 ram (cheaper than DDR nowdays),
gets powered like a normal SATA drive, can use two SATA channels (to be
able to get past the throughput limits of a single SATA interface), and
has a CF card slot to backup the data to if the system powers down.

plus the performance appears to be significantly better (even without
using the second SATA interface)

David Lang