Re: understanding postgres issues/bottlenecks

От Matthew Wakeling
Тема Re: understanding postgres issues/bottlenecks
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Where you *will* have some major OS risk is with testing-level software
> or "bleeding edge" Linux distros like Fedora.

I just ran "uptime" on my home machine, and it said 144 days. Debian
unstable, on no-name hardware. I guess the last time I rebooted was
when I changed the graphics drivers. I can't remember the last time it
actually crashed.

I guess the moral is, you find a combination of hardware and software that
works well, and you may as well stick with it. The most likely things to
destabilise the system are drivers for "interesting" pieces of hardware,
like graphics cards and (unfortunately) some high-performance RAID cards.

Matthew

--
 A good programmer is one who looks both ways before crossing a one-way street.
 Considering the quality and quantity of one-way streets in Cambridge, it