Re: select on 22 GB table causes "An I/O error occured while sending to the backend." exception

От david@lang.hm
Тема Re: select on 22 GB table causes "An I/O error occured while sending to the backend." exception
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Matthew Wakeling <matthew@flymine.org> wrote:
>
>> Another point is that from a business perspective, a database that has
>> stopped responding is equally bad regardless of whether that is because the
>> OOM killer has appeared or because the machine is thrashing. In both cases,
>> there is a maximum throughput that the machine can handle, and if requests
>> appear quicker than that the system will collapse, especially if the
>> requests start timing out and being retried.
>
> But there's a HUGE difference between a machine that has bogged down
> under load so badly that you have to reset it and a machine that's had
> the postmaster slaughtered by the OOM killer.  In the first situation,
> while the machine is unresponsive, it should come right back up with a
> coherent database after the restart.
>
> OTOH, a machine with a dead postmaster is far more likely to have a
> corrupted database when it gets restarted.

wait a min here, postgres is supposed to be able to survive a complete box
failure without corrupting the database, if killing a process can corrupt
the database it sounds like a major problem.

David Lang