Re: Entry point for Postgresql Performance

От Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Тема Re: Entry point for Postgresql Performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Databases are usually IO bound , vmstat results can confirm individual
cases and setups.
In case the server is IO bound the entry point should be setting up
properly performing
IO. RAID10 helps a great extent in improving IO bandwidth by
parallelizing the IO operations,
more spindles the better. Also write caches helps in great deal in
caching the writes and making
commits faster.

In my opinion system level tools (like vmstat) at peak load times  can
be an entry point
in understanding the  bottlenecks of a particular setup.

if there is swapping u absolutely need to double the ram . ( excess
ram can be used in disk block caching)
if its cpu bound add more cores or high speed cpus
if its io bound put better raid arrays & controller.

regds
mallah.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Nagalingam, Karthikeyan
<KARTHIKEYAN.Nagalingam@netapp.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>      Can you guide me, Where is the entry point to get the documentation for
> Postgresql performance tuning, Optimization for Postgresql with Storage
> controller.
>
> Your recommendation and suggestion are welcome.
>
> Regards
> Karthikeyan.N

Сообщение: Re: Proposal of tunable fix for scalability of 8.4
Сообщение: Re: Proposal of tunable fix for scalability of 8.4