Re: Filesystem benchmarking for pg 8.3.3 server

От Scott Carey
Тема Re: Filesystem benchmarking for pg 8.3.3 server
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
I'm not an expert on which and where -- its been a while since I was exposed to the issue.  From what I've read in a few places over time (storagereview.com, linux and windows patches or knowledge base articles), it happens from time to time.  Drives usually get firmware updates quickly.  Drivers / Controller cards often take longer to fix.  Anyway, my anecdotal recollection was with a few instances of this occuring about 4 years ago and manefesting itself with complaints on message boards then going away.  And in general some searching around google indicates this is a problem more often drivers and controllers than drives themselves.

I recall some cheap raid cards and controller cards being an issue, like the below:
http://www.fixya.com/support/t163682-hard_drive_corrupt_every_reboot

And here is an example of an HP Fiber Channel Disk firmware bug:
HS02969 28SEP07

Title
: OPN FIBRE CHANNEL DISK FIRMWARE

Platform
: S-Series & NS-Series only with FCDMs

Summary
:
HP recently discovered a firmware flaw in some versions of 72,
146, and 300 Gigabyte fibre channel disk devices that shipped in late 2006
and early 2007. The flaw enabled the affected disk devices to inadvertently
cache write data. In very rare instances, this caching operation presents an
opportunity for disk write operations to be lost.

Even ext3 doesn't default to using write barriers at this time due to performance concerns:
http://lwn.net/Articles/283161/