How to place a table on a separate partition?

От Rodin A. Porrata
Тема How to place a table on a separate partition?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

Hi,

I am putting together a large database and want the
table to reside on a partition separate from the
default under 'base'. How can I do this?

I tried the following: First I created the place I
wanted to put the table:

mkdir /taos/01/postgres
chown taos /taos/01/postgres

Then I modified the .profile of postgres
so that:

PGDATA2 = /taos/01/postgres
export PGDATA2

then on the command line of the postgres
account I typed

initlocation $PGDATA2

which was successful.

Then I typed

initdb -D $PGDATA2 -i 1095

Now I had to kill the old postmaster and restart it. However,
I could only give it one location to utilize the data base, i.e.,

postmaster -D /taos/01/postgres
createdb -U taos -D $PGDATA2 large_table

So does this mean I have to start a separate postmaster for
the new location? How would I do that?

What we would like is a single postmaster to handle
all database queries, etc. However, for the especially
large table have a special user and table only.

Rodin

Сообщение: Re: PG 7.0.3 & RH 7 IPC problems?
Сообщение: Re: PG 7.0.3 & RH 7 IPC problems?