Re: PG vs MySQL

От Thomas T. Thai
Тема Re: PG vs MySQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Stuart Robinson wrote:

> For what it's worth, I'm one of those people who switched from mySQL to
> PostgreSQL. Why?  Because the latter has a number of capabilities that the
> former is lacking, chief among these being:
>
> 1. transactions
> 3. subqueries

same here. plus UNION (yes i know you could do this in MySQL with separate
selects into a temporary table) and foreign keys.

a while back i was looking to port all of our stuff to pgsql when I
couldn't get MySQL to run stable on my NetBSD/Alpha machine cause of
threading issues. But I got that resolved with MySQL (used to crash a lot
but haven't for months). Then there was that limitation of the 8K issue
that's long resolved with pgsql. And I had to wait for emulated soft
floats to work on NetBSD/Alpha (thanks to Ross Harvey from NetBSD).

as Minnesota.com expands, I'm starting to see limitations of MySQL, very
smiliar to what Tim Purdue stated in his article. All the things I didn't
need before (transactions, views, subqueries, triggers, UNION), I find I
now need. In my process or portign and making my PHP apps for DB
independent, I found myself making lots of special IF/ELSE cases for MySQL
because it's not as standard (case in point, '||' in MySQL is the OR
operator, where it should be concat).

I'd still recommend MySQL for applications that are small and don't forsee
it growing very large, because their interface and setup is much easier to
understand for a beginner.